Accidents happen without warning. Though many injuries are minor and heal with time, some do not. Catastrophic injuries are disastrous. They leave their victims disabled, struggling to pay their bills, and in need of help.
If you’ve suffered a life-altering injury, talk to a qualified catastrophic injury attorney at the Law Offices of Michael A. DeMayo. You may not be able to return to life as you knew it, but you don’t need to suffer because of it. Our lawyers have years of experience helping victims seek compensation for their injuries.
Types of Catastrophic Injuries
A catastrophic injury disables a person, preventing them from supporting themselves or their families. Even a torn ACL could prevent a construction worker from returning to work.
Depending on the circumstances, the following are some injures that could be considered catastrophic:
- Vision/eye loss
- Hearing loss
- Internal organ damage
- Amputation or loss of limb
- Neck and back injuries
- Bone, joint, tissue, or muscle damage
- Spinal cord injuries (SCI)
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Physiological problems as a result of trauma
- Wrongful death
Consequences of Catastrophic Injuries
Some injuries may not seem severe until you consider the repercussions. In reality, life-altering injuries can cause a person to:
- Depend on full time nursing care to live
- Suffer a permanent personality change
- Be unable to move, eat, drink, get dressed, or travel on their own
- Lose their ability to work
- Develop speech problems
- Be confused or disoriented
- Suffer from chronic pain
Compensation for Your Catastrophic Injuries
You or a loved one may be may be unsure about the future. But know that it’s worth fighting for the compensation to help make it the best future possible. A catastrophic injury attorney can help you recover damages for things like:
- Lost Wages
- Loss of future earning ability
- Medical bills
- Future medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of enjoyment of life
What Causes Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries are the result of an accident, violent attack, or someone’s negligence. As attorneys, we often see catastrophic injuries as a result of:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Dog bites
- Nursing home negligence
- Defective medical equipment
- Dangerous drugs
- Defective products
- Unsafe environments
How to Avoid Catastrophic Injuries
Being aware of your surroundings can help you prevent injuries and accidents. The following tips can help reduce the chance of an accident or injury occurring:
- Take a buddy. If you’re going somewhere unfamiliar, take someone you trust with you.
- Use machinery correctly. Read manufacturer guidelines and inspect machinery or equipment before using it.
- Play smart. When playing recreational sports, be aware of the equipment, players, and terrain.
- Practice defensive driving. Always be aware that other drivers may not be as responsible as you are.
- Ride safe. Use vehicles like ATVs, motorcycles, or bicycles, where and how they are meant to be used. Always be prepared for changing terrain and weather conditions any time you ride.
Even if you do everything right, you can still get injured. That’s because you can never predict another person’s actions. Their negligent behavior can change your life forever.
These actions can be intentional, like being assaulted, but most of the time negligence is the result of a bad decision. Being prepared for this inevitability will help you handle it better if the time comes.
If you or someone you know is suffering from a catastrophic injury, please contact the Law Offices of Michael A. DeMayo at to schedule a free consultation. If you have additional questions about these types of injures, you can check out our FAQ or call 704-333-1000 for more information.