On November 4, 2011, Fresenius Medical Care released an internal memo — a shocking revelation. In a single calendar year, over 900 patients at Fresenius dialysis clinics suffered cardiac events. These often fatal heart attacks were linked with the use of GranuFlo and NaturaLyte dialysis products. These drugs spiked bicarbonate levels in certain patients and thus dramatically elevated their risk. Patients with high bicarbonate levels were six times more likely to suffer heart attacks than were patients with normal levels.
Fresenius clearly understood the dangers posed by their dialysis products, but perhaps the company’s response was too little, too late.
Victims injured by GranuFlo and NaturaLyte – including family members of people who died while being treated with these kidney dialysis products – have since filed a rash of lawsuits, alleging that Fresenius “intentionally, recklessly, and/or negligently concealed, suppressed, omitted, and misrepresented the risks, dangers, defects, and disadvantages of GranuFlo and NaturaLyte.”
Here is a laundry list of plaintiff compliaints:
• The company disregarded public safety and knowingly failed to address the defects of their products before selling them to the general population;
• The company failed to provide adequate instructions and safety warnings to providers who used its products;
• The company actively sold dangerous products, in spite of revelations like the internal company memo we discussed above;
• The company intentionally failed to report the spike in cardiac risks to either the general public or the Federal Drug Administration;
• The company knew the risks associated with GranuFlo and NaturaLyte but failed to warn patients and physician providers of the heart attack and death risks.
Many harmed patients – and their families – have banded together to take action against Fresenius … but many would-be plaintiffs have still taken no action, either because they don’t know about the alleged malfeasance, or because they are too confused/overwhelmed to take action.
The team here at the Law Offices of Michael A. DeMayo has an excellent track record helping patients injured by GranuFlo and NaturaLyte pursue justice and appropriate compensation. We would be happy to provide a free consultation and thorough insight into your situation, so that you can address your financial and legal issues more resourcefully.