When you file a claim following your auto accident, an insurance adjuster will investigate the auto accident, and determine what compensation you deserve. This can include compensation for injuries, as well as property.
Unfortunately, the insurance adjuster is not working for you. They work for the insurance company and they will attempt to save the insurance company as much money as possible. This means that they will try to have you admit fault, or say that your injuries are not as serious or permanent as they really are.
When dealing with an insurance adjuster, it is a good idea to have an experienced auto accident lawyer present so that you do not say anything that may negatively affect any compensation you receive.
When speaking to insurance companies, there are a few guidelines that can help your auto accident claim:
- Do Not Admit Fault – This is one of the most important things to remember when speaking to an insurance adjuster. After an auto accident, you may feel guilty about what happened, but a thorough investigation may prove that you are not the one responsible for the accident at all.
- Have a Witness – Make sure that a witness is present when speaking to an insurance adjuster.
- Take Notes – Take extensive notes about your conversation, including their questions and your responses. If possible, record the conversation.
- Don’t Sign Anything – The insurance adjuster may attempt to have you sign some documents, or written admissions. Do not do so unless or until your auto accident lawyer has reviewed the documents. This can have a negative affect on your claim, and may prevent you from receiving the appropriate compensation.
- Don’t Accept Settlements – If the insurance adjuster offers you a settlement in the first couple days following an auto accident, it may be an attempt to get rid of you and your auto accident claim. By waiting and filing a formal claim, you have a better chance of being fully compensated.
- Hire An Experienced Auto Accident Lawyer – An experienced auto accident lawyer will be familiar with the auto accident claim process and the rules and regulations that must be followed. An auto accident lawyer will help talk to the insurance adjusters and recover from the losses you have endured.
If you have been involved in an auto accident, contact the Law Offices of Michael A. DeMayo, L.L.P. ® immediately for a free consultation. Insurance adjusters can be difficult to deal with and they may try to prevent you from receiving the appropriate compensation.