Premises Liability FAQs

If I trip and injure myself on a public sidewalk, can I sue the city?

Possibly. Many states have statutes that give them immunity and prevent the possibility of compensatory lawsuits. However, there are some states that don’t have laws against suing the state for injuring yourself on their land. If you have injured yourself from a slip and fall, contact an experienced premises liability lawyer and find out what compensation you can recover.

Should I accept a cash settlement from the insurance company adjuster for my premises liability injury?

No. When you file a premises liability claim, insurance adjusters may contact you to determine what injuries you have suffered and how much the insurance company will compensate you for. The primary goal of an insurance adjuster is to save the insurance company money.

After you have filed a premises liability claim, an insurance adjuster may attempt to offer you a cash settlement. While it may be tempting to accept the settlement right away, it may negatively affect the true value of your premises liability claim. Accepting a premises liability settlement may prevent you from receiving all the compensation you need from your premises liability claim.

What damages can I recover from my premises liability claim?

An injury suffered as the result of a slip and fall can be very serious. Each year, people suffer serious injuries that can affect every aspect of their lives because the property they were on was not properly maintained or managed. If you have been injured on someone else’s property, you may be able to recover compensation for economic and non-economic losses, including:

  • Lost Wages
  • Medical Bills
  • Future Medical Costs
  • Physical Therapy
  • Prescription Costs
  • Pain and suffering
  • Mental Anguish
  • Permanent Disability
  • Loss of Enjoyment of Life

Many of these losses can be difficult to compute or associate with a specific dollar amount, but an experienced premises liability lawyer will help you identify all your losses.

What should I do after I suffer a premises liability injury?

If you are injured on another person’s property, there are a few guidelines you should follow in order to file a premises liability claim. If you have suffered a premises liability injury, you should:

  • Write down everything you can remember about the premises liability incident as soon as possible. By making extensive notes, you will be able to keep the incident clear in your mind and be able to tell your premises liability lawyer exactly what happened.
  • Keep track of all expenses associated with your premises liability injury. You may be able to receive compensation for all your expenses, including other economic and non-economic losses.
  • See a doctor as soon as possible. While you may feel all right immediately following the injury, additional injuries and medical problems may arise weeks or even months after the premises liability incident.
  • Collect as much evidence as possible. Some of the most helpful evidence for a premises liability claim will be photographs of the area and of your injuries. Make sure you take your photographs as soon after the premises liability incident as possible in case the cause of your slip and fall is corrected after your injury.
  • Make notes of all the conversations you have with people about the premises liability incident. If you talk to insurance adjusters, property managers, or even friends and family, make sure you document whom you have told about the premises liability incident.
  • Obtain the contact information of anyone who witnessed the incident or has suffered injuries as a result of the same circumstances or causes.
  • Contact an experienced premises liability lawyer.

Contact the Law Offices of Michael A. DeMayo, L.L.P. ® today and schedule your free initial consultation.