Catastrophic accidents can occur anywhere, at any time. Even seemingly safe places can become accident scenes: your favorite store, familiar school halls, or a quiet country road. Catastrophic accidents cause life-altering and devastating injuries, requiring expensive medical care.
Unfortunately, accidents like these are often preventable, but a responsible party fails to take proper precautions or warn others of potential danger. When someone else’s negligence causes you to become severely injured, threatening your health, your financial security, and your quality of life, a good accident attorney can hold them accountable for the damage they’ve inflicted.
If you or a loved one has suffered catastrophic injuries due to someone else’s negligence, you need a lawyer who understands personal injury law. You may be owed significant financial compensation for your medical bills, missed work, and pain and suffering. The Hickory, NC catastrophic accident lawyers at DeMayo Law Offices can make sure your right to compensation is protected while you focus on what’s most important: your own health and your family’s well-being. Call us right away at (828) 345-1111 to schedule a free consultation.
Why You Need A Lawyer to Handle Your Catastrophic Injury Case
Catastrophic accidents are devastating and cause profound physical harm. The resulting legal cases can be complex and involve damages reaching into the millions of dollars. If you’ve been catastrophically injured by a negligent party, an experienced accident attorney like ours at DeMayo Law Offices is essential to your case.
They can investigate the scene, collecting evidence, and taking photographs that prove that another party’s negligence led to you becoming injured. They can also interview witnesses and gather experts to testify to your medical condition. With these materials, a good lawyer will gather can put together a solid case that demands the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Catastrophic accidents sometimes lead to high-dollar insurance payouts. As a consequence, insurers do everything they can to avoid paying. Your attorney can negotiate with the insurance company and make sure that they live up to their responsibility to pay the compensation you are owed.
Why Hire DeMayo Law Offices?
For nearly three decades, DeMayo Law Offices has helped thousands of clients recover hundreds of millions of dollars in damages and compensation for their injuries. You can read more about our successful verdicts and settlements here. When you hire our firm, you choose a team of top-rated legal professionals who will fight relentlessly for your right to compensation. We take pride in our ability to provide high-quality and personalized legal representation to each of our clients.
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
Many kinds of accidents can result in severe injuries. Car crashes are among the most common causes of catastrophic physical damage. Any hard object that impacts the body or causes a person to hit the ground can break bones, cause internal bleeding, or lead to head trauma. Industrial workplace accidents can turn a minor slip or trip into a life-altering injury, and fires or exposure to chemicals or radiation may result in serious and lifelong medical conditions. Here are just a few possible causes of catastrophic injury:
- Highway collisions, especially those involving large vehicles – High speeds on highways make crashes more likely to be fatal or cause debilitating injuries. Large commercial vehicles can weigh up to 40 tons, making smaller passenger cars incredibly vulnerable. The danger is compounded if a motorcycle is involved in the crash since they are harder for other drivers to see and provide little to no protection to riders who are hit by another vehicle.
- Industrial accidents – Heavy industrial equipment used on industrial worksites like oil rigs, construction sites, and mining facilities poses a serious risk of injury to workers if someone fails to follow proper safety protocols. Machines like oil derricks, drills, bulldozers, and cranes require specialized training to operate. Owners must administer regular maintenance to ensure that they don’t break down during use and hurt someone. The hazardous chemicals on industrial sites also pose risks, since they could cause fires or serious illnesses if improperly stored.
- Medical malpractice – If a doctor or nurse prescribes the wrong medication, incorrectly performs a surgical procedure or mixes up medical records, a patient could be seriously injured. Mistakes are unfortunately not uncommon in emergency rooms and hospitals because medical professionals work such long hours, and some irresponsible healthcare providers prioritized making money over outcomes. One missed detail can cause serious injury or death.
- Deliberate violence – Violent crimes such as assault and rape pose a risk of catastrophic injury. If a property owner or manager fails to take reasonable precautions to deter violent crime, such as installing lighting or hiring security guards, they may be held liable for violent crimes committed on their premises.
Typical Catastrophic Injuries
The types of injuries sustained in major accidents vary widely depending on the circumstances of the mishap. Some common injuries include:
- Traumatic head and brain injuries from heavy impacts, causing permanent neurological damage
- Spinal cord damage, leading to partial or full paralysis
- Third-degree burns from fires or chemicals, causing permanent damage to nerves, skin, or other areas
- Crushed limbs, resulting in permanent disability or amputation
- Fractured or broken ribs, which could puncture vital organs or lungs
- Deep lacerations, leading to massive blood loss or nerve damage
- Lung cancer and respiratory illness from exposure to chemicals
If you’ve been in an accident, seek medical attention immediately, even if it doesn’t seem like you’re seriously hurt. You may be suffering from a concussion or internal damage, which doesn’t present symptoms right away. If you want to pursue compensation in a personal injury claim, you must have a doctor’s diagnosis. If you wait to go to the doctor, the insurance company may argue that your injuries were minor or nonexistent.
Frequently Asked Questions About Catastrophic Injury Cases
If you’ve suffered a serious or life-altering injury, you must have many questions. Your attorney is the best person to answer specific questions about your case, but here are a few answers that may steer you in the right direction.
Whom Do I Sue for A Catastrophic Injury?
If you’ve suffered a serious injury after an accident, it’s important to consider whether another person or company’s negligence is to blame. If you were in a car crash, did another driver’s actions or inaction cause the wreck? If you sustained an injury on the job, did your supervisor fail to ensure that all safety regulations and policies were being properly followed? If you were on someone else’s property, were there hazards present that the owner should have reasonably been expected to repair? Your attorney can go over these questions with you when you meet, to determine whether another person or company’s negligence may have led to your injury and whether you should pursue a claim for compensation.
What Can I Do to Help My Case?
The most important thing to do after an accident is to get medical attention. You should keep any medical records and receipts together in a file dedicated to your accident. If possible, take pictures of the scene and speak with people who saw the accident occur. Don’t sign anything and avoid speaking with insurance company representatives without talking to a lawyer first. It’s crucial to hire an experienced accident attorney, like ours at DeMayo Law Offices, as soon as possible so that they can speak on your behalf and begin investigating your injury right away.
How Long Will It Take to Resolve My Catastrophic Injury Claim?
The length of time to resolve a case of this nature varies depending on the circumstances of the accident, the amount of compensation at stake, and whether the defendant is willing to settle or the case must go to trial. Many accidents and injury claims are settled within one to two years. In some cases requiring a lawsuit, you must wait until you reach Maximum Medical Improvement, meaning you have recovered as much as possible before your attorney can file suit. This could take several months or even years.
What Can I Be Compensated for In A Catastrophic Accident?
Every case is unique, but here are some of the ways compensation may help in your situation:
- Payment of medical bills and costs of long-term care
- Reimbursement for prescription drugs and painkillers
- Recovery of the value of property damaged or destroyed in the accident
- Payment of wages lost due to time missed from work
- Damages for physical pain and suffering as well as psychological trauma
- Replacement of household income or consortium lost due to disability or death
- Help with funeral and burial expenses
Your attorney can give you a better idea of what sort of compensation you may be able to expect in your own case.
Speak with A North Carolina Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Today
If you’ve just been in a major accident and suffered devastating injuries, your focus should be on your recovery. At DeMayo Law Offices, we understand what a stressful and painful ordeal this is. Our Hickory injury attorneys help clients every day facing the same situation.
Right now, you need an experienced attorney by your side who can negotiate with insurance companies and opposing counsel to make sure you get the compensation you deserve. Call us at (828) 345-1111 or fill out our contact form today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.
Provide your information below and we'll contact you.
Please do not include any confidential or sensitive information in this form. This form sends information by non-encrypted email which is not secure. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.