Many people enjoy the independence of driving their cars every day. They typically feel safe and instinctively trust other drivers on the road, until an accident happens. The emotional and physical shock of being struck by another vehicle is jarring to anyone’s peace of mind. If that isn’t difficult enough, plenty of these accidents result in injuries, and some can be debilitating and life changing.
If you or someone in your family has been hurt in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, you probably feel overwhelmed by the tedious process of filing an insurance claim while trying to recover from the trauma and injuries.
This is where an experienced Monroe car accident lawyer from DeMayo Law Offices comes in. We do the work of making sure the person responsible for harming you is held accountable for their actions. You can focus on healing while we handle your claim and fight to get the full compensation that is owed to you. DeMayo Law Offices has recovered millions of dollars for our clients, including many who were injured in car accidents.
Don’t hesitate to contact us at (704) 291-9200, so we can discuss your situation today and get to work on your claim.
How a DeMayo Law Offices Lawyer Can Help You After Being Injured in Car Accident
Dealing with insurance companies is always part of the aftermath of a car accident, and it can be complicated. You may feel confused if they make you a settlement offer that you’re not sure is fair or if they attempt to deny that the other driver was at fault. You shouldn’t try to handle the claim by yourself.
An experienced lawyer from DeMayo Law Offices has the knowledge and experience to determine what the maximum value of your claim is and to negotiate for that compensation with the insurance company. When you hire our law firm, you leave these responsibilities to us:
- Investigating the accident
- Collecting evidence to prove your case
- Communicating and negotiating with the insurance company
- Consulting with medical experts to access the consequences of your injuries
- Calculating your costs and financial losses from the accident
- Filing of a lawsuit and handling litigation if a reasonable settlement is not offered
When DeMayo Law Offices handles your claim, you can be confident your rights are protected and that no one will take advantage of you.
Car Accident Cases DeMayo Law Offices, Handles
Car accidents happen every day under numerous circumstances, and the vast majority of them are the result of human error. DeMayo Law Offices has extensive experience with all types of accidents, but these are the more common crash scenarios we see:
- Hit and Run Accidents: An accident is considered a hit and run when a driver fails to stop or flees the scene of the accident without identifying themselves. Even when these drivers cannot be located, we can still pursue compensation for you through your own car insurance policy.
- Drunk Driver Accidents: It is against the law for a person to drive with too much alcohol in their system because it reduces their brain function. It impairs thought, reason, and muscle coordination. Drunk driving causes serious accidents on a daily basis, including thousands of fatalities every year throughout the United States.
- Drugged Driver Accidents: Just like alcohol, driving under the influence of a drug is illegal because of its effects on the brain. This includes opioids, marijuana, methamphetamines, or any other impairing drug, whether it is legal, illegal, prescribed, or over-the-counter. The number of drug-impaired drivers getting behind the wheel is a growing threat due to factors such as the opioid epidemic and the expansion of legalized marijuana.
- Distracted Driving/Texting and Driving: The use of phones and other technology devices while driving has been on the rise in recent years, providing more opportunities for distraction. People get preoccupied with multi-tasking and fail to keep their eyes on what’s happening outside their car. Distracted driving accidents are common on North Carolina roadways.
- Rear-End Collisions: One of the most common types of traffic accidents, we regularly have clients who are involved in rear-end collisions. These happen when a vehicle strikes the back of the car in front of it. These are typically caused by driver inattention, panic stops, tailgating, or diminished traction. Rear-end collisions often cause injuries, even when they occur at slow speeds.
- Speeding Accidents: Speeding is one of the main contributors to traffic accidents. When drivers go faster than the legal limit, the control they have over their vehicle is reduced and there is a higher risk for an accident. Typically, the higher the speed of a motor vehicle at the time of the crash, the more severe the resulting injuries will be.
- Accident with Underinsured/Uninsured Drivers: The point of car insurance is to have coverage to pay for property damage and personal injuries that arise from an accident. If the person who causes the accident does not have insurance or their insurance is not sufficient for all the damages, you will need to file an uninsured or underinsured claim with your own insurance company. This can be a tricky process, so it’s advisable to have a skilled attorney handle it.
- Accidents Caused by Road Defects: Other drivers are not the only source of car accidents. Hazards such as potholes, malfunctioning traffic lights, obscured road signs, or faulty road surfaces can all cause a vehicle to crash. In these cases, the city, county, state, or other government entity is usually the responsible party, so it is a different type of claim. A lawyer who is familiar with these situations is able to prove the government either knew or should have known about the dangerous road condition.
- Accidents Caused by Vehicle/Mechanical Defects: Despite safety standards for manufacturing vehicles, mechanical defects that cause accidents still occur in many makes and models. When injuries result from a mechanical failure, it is possible to file a claim against the company that designed and manufactured the vehicle.
How We Pursue Compensation for Your Injuries
Once you have been injured in a car accident, the expenses start piling up. When someone else caused the accident, they should bear the responsibility for these costs. The lawyers at DeMayo Law Offices fight hard to seek justice for all of our clients.
We can pursue compensation from the at-fault party for a variety of expenses, such as:
- Medical bills – The initial doctor, hospital, medication, and related bills for medical treatment.
- Future medical bills – Your injuries may require ongoing or future care, such as physical or occupational therapy, medication, or additional surgery.
- Loss of current and future wages – Car accident injuries often keep you home from work while you recover or may even prevent you from being able to return to your job at all.
- Pain and suffering – Damages can be awarded to compensate for the emotional distress you have endured from the accident and your injuries.
The amount of compensation that can be recovered is different with every claim because they all have unique circumstances. At DeMayo Law Offices we do a thorough evaluation of each case to be sure we have uncovered every opportunity for the maximum reimbursement to our clients.
Questions You May Have About Hiring a Monroe Car Accident Lawyer
While the best way to have all of your questions answered is to schedule a free consultation with our law firm, here are some brief answers to common topics on the minds of people who are thinking about hiring a lawyer.
If I hire a lawyer, does that mean I have to go to court?
Most car accident claims are settled without filing a lawsuit, but there is always the possibility of going to court. Either way, DeMayo Law Offices lawyers are equipped to proceed with your case, doing whatever is in your best interest.
I didn’t seek legal help right after my accident. How long do I have to file an injury claim?
The statute of limitations in North Carolina for personal injury claims is three years from the date the injury occurs, although it is preferable to seek legal help promptly.
How long will my personal injury case take?
Unfortunately, there is no simple way to answer this. Some cases settle easily, but others require more time to negotiate. An experienced car accident attorney can determine exactly how much your claim is worth and knows how to deal with insurance companies to progress the settlement without delay.
How will my lawyer get paid?
At DeMayo Law Offices, our clients have access to professional legal services without paying any initial fees. We cover all the upfront costs until we win your case. If you are not awarded any damages, you owe us nothing. If we are successful in obtaining compensation for you, our fee is taken from that amount.
DeMayo Law Offices, Is Ready to Help You Today
If you or a family member has been injured by another motorist in Monroe or the surrounding area, the car accident lawyers of DeMayo Law Offices are here for you. We have been helping people get the compensation they deserve since 1992 and we will put that experience to work for you.