Reports by the United States Department of Transportation show that roughly 450,000 accidents involving large trucks occurred in 2017 alone. Of those, nearly 15,000 occurred in North Carolina. Commercial trucks, because of their sheer size and weight, are capable of doing much more serious damage in accidents than regular automobiles. Accidents involving these large vehicles often leave victims traumatized and saddled with costly bills. If that’s your situation, you are not alone.
If you’ve been hurt in a truck accident in Monroe, North Carolina, help is available to you at DeMayo Law Offices, L.L.P. You should not have to bear the burden of pain and debt. Taking legal action may sound daunting, but it’s the best way to ensure that you are treated fairly and that you get the compensation you deserve for your hardships.
Our award-winning, compassionate attorneys are here to help you take the first step toward your recovery. Call us at (704) 291-9200 or fill out our online contact form for a free consultation today.
Should I Consult an Attorney If I’ve Been Injured in a Truck Accident?
After a truck accident of any severity, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. You need prompt, thorough treatment and documentation of your injuries. The very next thing you should do is speak to a lawyer.
Most of us have been in an automobile accident of some nature, so most of us understand that the aftermath of these accidents is stressful at best and traumatizing at worst. Between police reports, insurance phone calls, and trying to heal from injuries, automobile accidents can make it seem impossible to rest. Since truck accidents are often especially damaging, costly, and complicated, they often present even more difficulty. Without the help of an attorney, you may be tempted to abandon a lawsuit altogether and never see the compensation you deserve.
With a knowledgeable truck accident attorney on your side, you can breathe a little easier knowing that every aspect of your claim for compensation will be handled by the professionals. You deserve more than the lowball amount the trucking company’s insurance company will likely offer you, and an attorney can see to it that you don’t have to settle.
An attorney will conduct a thorough investigation into your case by gathering reports, making the necessary contacts, and applying North Carolina’s laws in the best way to get you maximum compensation.
Why Should I Select DeMayo Law Offices, L.L.P., to Handle My Case?
DeMayo Law Offices, L.L.P., is a top choice for injured victim representation because of our demonstrated ability to recover maximum compensation for our clients. We believe no personal injury case is beyond our realm, and we provide all of our clients with the personalized attention they need. With our attorneys’ combined experience and skill set, you can rest assured that you will get top-notch legal care when you work with us.
Our founding attorney, Michael A. DeMayo, founded DeMayo Law Offices, L.L.P., in 1992. Since then, we have opened two additional offices and grown our staff to over 100 legal professionals. In our nearly 30 years as a firm, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars in compensation for injured victims just like you.
In one truck accident case, we settled an injury victim’s claim in mediation for $1,900,000 after he was seriously hurt when a truck made a left turn in front of him. Though money isn’t a magic cure for the pain and suffering these accidents can cause, it can certainly ease the burden of resulting bills and any necessary changes to your lifestyle.
When you work with DeMayo Law Offices, L.L.P., you won’t have to settle for less than what you deserve for your truck accident injuries.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Since large tractor-trailer trucks exceed the size of regular passenger vehicles tenfold, operating them safely is of utmost importance. All drivers make mistakes, but when truck drivers make mistakes, any lives surrounding them on the roads are at risk. Let’s take a look at some of the most common causes of truck accidents:
- Subpar vehicle maintenance: Maintenance is important for all types of vehicles, but especially for large trucks because of the sheer wear and tear they are subjected to on a daily basis. It is the responsibility of trucking companies and all truck operators to properly report and service these vehicles. Issues such as old brake pads and worn tires can cause serious accidents when ignored.
- Driver fatigue: Federal laws are in place to mitigate driver fatigue, but it is still an issue because of the long hours they work. Truck drivers carrying cargo can drive for 11 hours after 10 hours off as they must factor in rest time. However, 11 hours is still three hours more than the average workday. Studies show that drivers who lose even one hour of sleep are at increased risk of crashing.
- Improper cargo loading: Most commercial trucks carry hundreds of pounds of goods from point A to point B. Since trucks are already so heavy, the weight distribution of their cargo must be perfect. When it’s not, load shifts can cause jackknifing accidents or falling cargo, which can severely injure those in surrounding vehicles.
Common Injuries in Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can cause both serious property damage and serious injuries. These injuries can result in diminished quality of life. In addition, large trucks are more likely to be involved in fatal traffic crashes. Here are some common injuries from truck accidents:
- Back and neck injuries: The impact of a large truck can result in persistent back and neck pain, but it can also result in more serious injuries such as dislocated spinal disks and whiplash.
- TBIs: Traumatic brain injuries, or TBIs, are the result of blunt force trauma to the head. Head trauma can easily occur from the impact of a truck in an accident. Short-term side effects of TBIs can include bruising and severe headaches, and long-term side effects can include impaired motor skills and even memory loss.
- Lacerations: Broken glass and truck materials can result in deep lacerations in these kinds of crashes. Some require stitches and result in severe scarring.
- Seatbelt injuries: Seatbelts, though of utmost importance in severe injury prevention, can cause injuries themselves from the impact of truck accidents. They can cause whiplash and deep, painful bruising.
- Internal bleeding: Internal bleeding is one of the main reasons you should always see a doctor immediately following a truck accident. Your kidneys, bladder, liver, and other organs are at risk of internal bleeding due to the blunt trauma of these accidents.
Frequently Asked Questions
A skilled attorney can help you with any questions you have about your truck accident case, but we’ve included answers to common questions we receive about truck accidents that may be useful.
What is the statute of limitations on filing a lawsuit for my truck accident?
In North Carolina, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is three years. You have three years from the date your injuries occurred to file a claim for compensation. Time is of the essence, so don’t delay in taking the first step. DeMayo Law Offices, L.L.P., can help you get started when you reach out to us for your free consultation.
What types of compensation can I expect if I win my truck lawsuit?
Personal injury claims can recover multiple types of compensation that will depend on the specific nature of your case. Examples include compensation for:
- Lost wages: Lost wages compensation is intended to cover earnings you miss out on because your injuries prevent you from working.
- Medical bills: Medical bill compensation is intended to cover all medical expenses related to your injuries such as hospital stays, follow-up doctor’s appointments, and medication.
- Pain and suffering: Pain and suffering compensation is intended to account for the mental and emotional damage accident victims endure. Pain and suffering damages are also known as general damages.
I lost a loved one in a truck accident. Can I file a wrongful death lawsuit?
Yes. If you’ve suffered the loss of a loved one in a truck accident, the caring attorneys of DeMayo Law Offices, L.L.P., can help you through the process of filing a wrongful death lawsuit. It’s important to note that the statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death lawsuit is two years, not three. We understand that grief may make filing a lawsuit feel overwhelming, and we will do whatever we can to ease your burden.
Contact the Attorneys of DeMayo Law Offices, L.L.P., Today
At DeMayo Law Offices, L.L.P., we believe no injured victim should go without justice. You deserve fair and full compensation for your truck accident injuries, and our Monroe personal injury attorneys know how to deliver. Call us at (704) 291-9200, or go online to schedule your free case review today. We have offices in Charlotte, Monroe, and Hickory for your convenience. We are ready and waiting to assist you.
Provide your information below and we'll contact you.
Please do not include any confidential or sensitive information in this form. This form sends information by non-encrypted email which is not secure. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.