Anyone watching the news this week is seeing the northeastern United States covered in snow and ice. As the winter continues, DeMayo Law Offices, L.L.P. would like to remind you TO WATCH YOUR STEP. Even though Charlotte weather has been mild this year and we are looking forward to an early spring, last year we still saw very cold and dangerous conditions in as late as March. Wet and slippery conditions on roads, sidewalks and floors can mean a very serious injury, but don’t forget that there are plenty of other things that can cause slip and fall injuries. Rugs, cords and things you wouldn’t expect to be on the floor can also cause a serious injury.
Slip and Fall Facts
- Slip and fall incidents affect over one million people in the United States each year.
- Like automobile accidents, slip and fall injuries are one of the most common types of injuries experienced in the United States.
- Slip and falls are one of the main reasons people visit the ER (emergency room) every day.
- Most slip and falls occur in hotels, restaurants, and public buildings.
Here are some safety tips to help prevent slip and fall injuries.
- Wear shoes with treads.
- If a path looks too slippery or you don’t think you can navigate it, don’t try to.
- Walk slow and conscientiously and be mindful of your surroundings.
- If you are in a public place and see a slippery floor or a hazard, report it to the proper authority.
Here is some information on what to do after becoming injured in slip and fall accident.
- Report the incident immediately so an incident report can be created.
- Try not to move, let someone come to you.
- If there is a witness to your fall, ask them for their contact information.
- If an incident report from management is created, make sure you receive a copy.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible – waiting only hurts you more!
- Contact an experienced law firm like DeMayo Law Offices, L.L.P. for a free case evaluation.