Texting while driving is a dangerous activity that causes 1.6 million auto accidents every year. The best prevention is education. Here are some national statistics surrounding texting and driving.
- Texting and driving kills nine Americans a day
- Ninety-eight percent of adults know texting while driving is dangerous
- Forty-nine percent admit doing it anyway
- Thirty-three percent of drivers text and drive
- Twenty-five percent of car accidents are caused by texting and driving
- Texting while driving is six times more likely to cause an accident than drunk driving
- The chances of an accident increase 23 times when texting
- Texting while driving increases the time your eyes are off the road
- On average, you travel the length of a football field reading or writing a text
- Texting while driving is banned in 46 states, including North Carolina
If you or anyone that you know has been involved in a auto accident involving distracted driving, please contact the Law Offices of Michael A. Demayo, L.L.P. for a free case evaluation.